Week 2 Reflection

    The second week of my senior project was a little more slow-paced than the first but I still learned a lot. The main thing I did this week was talk to teachers about their curriculums. I made contact with Josie, Ellie, Shauna, Laura, Pete, Alan, and Ben. It was good to see what they were interested in and how they wanted to improve their curriculums and understanding. Talking to them reinforced that the books were organized in an accessible as it was easy to find all the topics they were mentioned in our conversations. I hope that they continue their conversations into the end-of-year faculty meetings. It would be great to come back to Proctor in the future and see that Native American topics are being discussed all year long. It would amazing to have classes being supplemented with current and relevant information. 

    Another thing that I spent a good amount of hours doing was organizing the collection with masking tape. This is something that I needed to do so that the books can be easily cataloged. I am looking forward to when all the books are cataloged and it will be easy to find books for research through the database. I assigned each category a color and then any books that overlapped ended up having a few colors on the spine. I do not think that it is aesthetically pleasing to look at but I am hoping it is helpful for the people that understand what it means. This was an important step because once more people can access the NA collection it will lead to more understanding.  

    I spent the end of my week working on my trifold poster. I am pretty happy with how it is looking and I want to bring a couple of things besides the poster. I am planning on bringing a few books that I enjoy and also my embroidery so I can talk about whatever draws the most attention. All of the things I have done this week tie together so it will be easy to talk about all the things I covered seamlessly. I am looking forwards to Express Fest and being able to show off my work. I hope that by talking about it more students and teachers will become interested and end up checking out the collection. I want the most students possible to become inspired and then further their understanding of Indigenous people. 


Comments

Popular Posts