Day 7

Daily hours: 7

Total hours: 47 1/2


Today started off with getting some bluebird baker and then looking online for some Native News sources. I found some news sources that are based in Indian Country and I am planning on adding those to the NA online resource page eventually. I also found some news sources that are published by Nations and Tribes specifically and those were also interesting. After I sent that document to Heidi I did one more round through the library and pulled about two dozen more books. I looked through them and then organized them on the shelves if they were all good. 



After lunch, I met with Ellie Moore who teaches Honors Culture and Conflict as well as two blocks of English 9. We talked for an hour about her current curriculums and any improvements that could be made to them. I learned a lot in the meeting and was happy to provide some recommendations and starting places. I will continue to think about this meeting and other books that we could add to the collection which could also work in a variety of curriculums. After Ellie left to go teach I sat down and struck up a conversation with Shauna who has read tons of indigenous literature. We talked about what she has read and taught in the past and how some books are very complex for developing readers. I have never had a conversation with Shauna before today and it was great to hear her perspective. I totally understand why she is the head of the English department now. While we were talking Heidi came over to make sure that I was taking very good notes on everything so that she can continue this work after I graduate. I now have a running doc of the things that I covered with teachers and my recommendations. I will need to keep updating this doc after every meeting but I think it will be useful for Proctor in the future.

 

Once the library calmed down for the day I worked on the tons of running documents I have now and then closed up the office. Overall it was a busy but productive day and I am finding a lot of joy in talking to teachers and sharing my knowledge. As I continue to learn in college I know that I can always reach out with books that I have read for class and new resources. For the rest of the week, I will continue to work with teachers and take notes on their curriculums. I will also keep updating my docs and make the NA resource page have more current information. Eventually, I will start planning what I want to present at the express fest and start working on that visual towards the end of the week. 

Comments

Popular Posts