Day 6

 Daily hours: 9

Total hours: 40 1/2


Today started off with me in the library pulling books from the collection for Ben Bartoldus. I pulled a few on creation stories and even spent some time reading a few. The books I grabbed seem really interesting and I am excited to see what he thinks of them. After that, I replied to a few emails from teachers about the best times for them to meet. I hopefully will be meeting with some English teachers in the upcoming week to talk about their current and future curriculums. I think that this part of my senior project will be very valuable because I can research and recommend books for teachers based on what they want their students to learn. If I can find some good ones there is a chance that they will stay in the curriculums for a while. Looking forward to more conversations and meeting next week!

At 11 I left the library to head to the Dartmouth Powwow. It was a really good time and I was able to hang out with Lily, a student from St.Paul's who is Blackfeet. We watched the Powwow, looked at some vendors, and danced during a few rounds. We danced during the intertribal and Mother's Day rounds. I love being in the circle and dancing to the beat of the drum surrounded by fellow Natives. From elders to tiny tots and everything in between. There were light skinned and dark skinned Native people everywhere. It was amazing to see so much indigenous representation in the crowd. The powwow had much more attendance this time than last year because it was their now their second year after covid. 


Here are some photos of women competing in the traditional dance round. The weather, music, and regalia today were all so beautiful. 


A photo of Lily showing off the beaded earrings that her grandmother gifted her. Photo of my sweatshirt that I got from the vendors in a bag with sweetgrass from Dino Holy Eagle. 

Overall the powwow was a great time. I am very grateful to Lori for driving and to Liz (Lily's advisor) for going to her first powwow. I am so excited for next year when I will be a student at Dartmouth and get to watch the powwow on the green. 




Comments

Popular Posts