Day 5

 Daily hours: 7

Total hours: 31 1/2


Yesterday afternoon, Sierra proposed to Heidi that the rest of the books about Native Americans should be next to the collection. Although this does make tons of logical sense, once Heidi agreed that it was a good idea, I knew it was going to be a pain. Not only was the shelf near the NA collection filled with fiction novels, the rest of the NA books were towards the back of the library. 

With that being said today started off with me moving books around...again! It honestly went by pretty quickly because I had an empty rolling cart to use. I took each row of the fiction books A-D and moved them so that the shelf behind the NA collection could be filled. Once the fiction books were out of the way and the shelves were empty I brought the rest of the NA books to the front. From there is was just about organizing them into their categories. In the middle of organizing the books Heidi let me know that a student was going to come in to work on a project about housing on Native American reservations. I stopped organizing for a while and grabbed eight books and tabbed the pages that were about reservations. I also looked online for some current resources with good statistics and put them in a doc which I shared. About 45 minutes later that student came in and I worked with them to outline their project and presentation. It went really smoothly and it was great to see someone write about Indigenous people. That student even ended up checking some books out of the library to do more research! Although this might seem like a small moment, it meant a lot to me because not only was this student willing to work hard but they seemed genuinely engaged with the topic. 


After a quick lunch it was time to replace those yellow sticky notes. They were on the shelves as temporary labels for the categories but what an eyesore! I created a document with the titles of the categories and made sure to put it in Heidi's current favorite font: Poppins. Then I printed and cut out the titles of each section and then taped them onto the selves. I made sure to put a piece of tape wrapping around the shelf so that when people pull out books it doesn't rip off or damage the label. Afterwards, I wrote a short blurb for the collection that will eventually go onto the Proctor library page. It needs some more work but it is a good starting place. I then emailed some teachers that include Indigenous people in their curriculum and got a quick reply from Ben Bartoldus. Tomorrow I will work on pulling some books for his special interest and look into other books that we could order. However this is not my main event for tomorrow. I will be going to the Dartmouth Powwow! I will be in the library for the early morning and then around 11 I will hit the road with Lori. I am very excited to go since I will be attending Dartmouth in the fall and I will also get to see a Native friend from St. Paul's there. I will keep myself busy in the morning in the library and then get some much needed sunshine. 


This is how the collection looked at the end of the day! (note that I made the
embroidery of the seal of the Cherokee Nation for my textiles major this term) 

Comments

Popular Posts