Day 13

 Daily hours: 4

Total hours: 72


Today started off with working on the Diversity Equity and Inclusion (DEI) chart for Indigenous People and Colonialism. This chart has resource recommendations for teachers based on levels of knowledge. The first level is foundational knowledge and awareness, the second is skill building and application, and the third is advanced practice and leadership. I enjoyed working on this because it is looking at resources that are catered towards adults so I don't have to worry about the complexity of the information. While I was working on this Heidi brought Kate Piacenza who just finished her first year teaching U.S. History. We talked about how the curriculum was set up and which topics worked and didn't for the class. I gave her a few recommendations while we were talking and afterward, I sent her an email with more resources. 

After lunch, I chatted with Lori briefly about the end of my senior project and how things were going. I went back to the library and filled Heidi in on what I talked about with Kate. I updated the running doc full of conversations with teachers. I found that the US History curriculum and presentations focused a lot on a narrative of Native Americans that perpetuates the idea that they all died off. Heidi thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of notable native people that I think students would be interested in researching. I used a few books that we have in the collection to get a list together so that teachers can show their students that Native people are still here. It would be nice for students to find someone they are interested in like Kyrie Irving and then do more research on their nations/tribes. At the end of the day, I printed out the chapters on Native Americans in the U.S. History sourcebook and I plan to analyze them later tonight and give some constructive criticism. Tomorrow I need to finish up my project and I will have a meeting with Jill about my textiles major that is currently on display in the library. 

Comments

Popular Posts