Day 10

 Daily hours: 4

Total hours: 62

Today started off with me responding to an email from Alan McIntyre about recommendations for some science courses. I am excited to see departments other than English and History start taking an interest in the collection. I typed up the email exchange takeaways in the document for Lori and Heidi. After some emailing, I went back to categorizing books with the tape colors. I have found that this process is my least favorite by far. I cannot wait to be done with it. I am just trying to power through so that it can be cataloged. To break up the time spent taping I found some photos to put up on the back side of the collection. They might just be temporary but I wanted something to break up the wooden shelf. Two of the photos come from the All My Relations podcast and one comes from a company called Urban Native Era. These are all companies that I support and love what they do for the Native community at large. Matter of fact as I was working today I listened to three All My Relations podcast episodes about inigiqueerness, native appropriations, and indigenous language preservation. On the episode on native appropriations one of the hosts, Matika Wilbur, who is a photographer talked about Edward S. Curtis. For context, Edward and Matika both photographed Native Americans but in different time periods. Edward is a white man who is criticized for staging his photos whereas Matika, a native woman, used Project 562 to celebrate contemporary Native life. In the Lovejoy Library, we have two giant copies of Edward's work. It was on the top of the shelf and when I first heard about him I thought his work could still be valuable for the collection. Now I am not so sure. I will continue to think about it and talk to my siblings as well as Lori. I really hope we can order Matika's book so it can stand proudly as part of the collection. 

Today I also worked on the outdated language page and added some new outdated terms that I found as I was taping the books. I asked Lori to look at this page too and she had some good edits for me. Most of my time today was spent taping the books as I listened to the podcast. I think I have gotten through the whole front shelf and now I can start working on the backside. Tomorrow's hours will be spent taping like today and as next week starts I will start working on my presentation for Express Fest. I wish I had more time to give more recommendations but as I finish up I will make sure that I give Heidi a list of books that I think should be added to the collection ASAP. 

Comments

Popular Posts